Account of a Weekend

Steph and I went down to my parents place in Oceanside for the weekend because my sister is leaving for Wisconsin on Thursday to go to law school and we wont have a chance to see her again for a while.

First thing we did was go to the beach. It was sunny and warm at my parents place, but there was a pretty nasty marine layer at the beach, so it wasn't all that sunny (as you can see). I went in the water for a bit and did some body surfing, but I was the only one to really go in.

In case you're curious, that is the pier with Ruby's at the end. Excellent restaurant.



My parents took us out for dinner for our anniversary (on the 5th...aka tomorrow), and on the way back from the restaurant we stopped at a little automotive museum they had on Camp Pendelton. This place is only about 2 miles from my parents house, but we had never stopped there. It was pretty interesting. Even the girls who didn't really want to stop got rather excited when we found out the hatch was open on "Punisher" and we could go inside. Unfortunately we didn't have our cameras with us then, so we didn't get any pictures of it. We came back on Sunday for a photo op, but the hatch was closed. Still got some pretty good pictures though!
Below is an experimental amphibious vehicle, of which only seven were built.
This, obviously, is a Humvee. Gotta love the sign. I need that for driving around here in Cali.
These are the tanks we climbed all over. Its the furthest one that we were able to get into the previous day.
I had a lot of fun doing the 'mighty conqueror' poses.
You may think my mom is posing for this picture. She's not. That's really what she looks like when she is behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle.

Next event of significance was the movie sneak preview. Camp Pendelton sometimes shows movies at the base theater before they are released. They were showing a movie that is coming out on the 13th called "Tropic Thunder". Also very cool is that these sneak previews are free. Unfortunately since it started at 7p.m. (or at least it was supposed to, but we'll get to that), Steph and I could not stay and watch it. So you might be asking yourself, why on earth would you go to the theater if you're not going to be able to see the movie. Well, the three main stars of the movie were going to be attending. So, even though we weren't going to be able to see the movie, we were at least going to go see the stars so that when we moved back to Michigan and people ask us "did you see any movie stars out there" we could proudly respond"Yes!"

These are not pictures of the stars. That's my sister (in the red top), and her friend Jennifer. This picture was taken as we waited for the stars to show up. They were supposed to come at 6:45, but they didn't show up until a little after 8. Marcie and Jennifer went to the other side of the 'red carpet', and it seemed to be a good idea. While Steph 'might have' touched one of them, Marcie shook hands with two of them, and got one of their autographs (I think). So now you must be asking, WHAT STARS WERE THERE?!?! Well, just go down a bit further and you shall see!
First star that went by was Robert Downey Jr.
Next star to go by was Jack Black. I'm pretty sure Marcie shook his hand.
Lastly was the star both Steph and I were most excited to see...Ben Stiller. I'm pretty sure Marcie got his autograph. Lucky dog. I loved his work in Heavyweights.



So that was our weekend. Fun. And tomorrow Steph and I are leaving to spend the night at a bed and breakfast up in Big Bear for our anniversary. I need to get my bike fixed as we're planning on doing some biking, so that's all!
Have a good one and God bless!
Kevin




Comments

A and C said…
i LOVE Big Bear. It's gorgeous there. look at you two and your celebrities... ;)
mary said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
mary said…
I can't wait to see that movie!
"When" you move to Michigan? How 'bout "if" for all us optimistic Californias who will miss you! ;)PS- I was thinking one of those tank signs would be helpful in the classroom!

Popular posts from this blog

An Update of Cosmic Porportions

Working on the House

Stephanie is forcing me to update...